Together, we strengthen our academic community by providing excellent, innovative education and research that will enrich the lives of our students and community. There are many special opportunities to make a lasting difference for this beloved University and the students it serves.
You can give a gift now or leave a gift for later on, even after your lifetime, by designating funds from your donor-advised fund. A DAF is a charitable fund that you create and fund through an established administrator (such as Fidelity, Vanguard, Schwab and others). You can name UT Dallas as a charity to receive a specific dollar amount or percentage to be distributed over a certain period of time, or until the account balance becomes zero. With a DAF, you’ll enjoy tax benefits today and can make gifts to UT Dallas whenever you’re ready.
Your benefits include:
- Avoiding paying taxes on your required minimum distribution this year. The distribution will not count as taxable income for this year, helping keep you in a lower tax bracket.
- No limitations on the transfer of itemized deductions.
- Enjoying a quick and easy estate tax reduction.
- You must be 70 ½ years old or older by year-end.
- The distribution must be directed to UT Dallas from your plan trustee.
- The maximum contribution amount each year is $100,000 (or $200,000 per couple).
- Your transfer must be received by the last day of the calendar year.
If you’re interested in this popular way to support UT Dallas, download sample letters for your IRA administrator here.
Is this for you?
- Has property management become a pain?
- Are you interested in avoiding capital gains tax on appreciated property?
- Are you eager to dispose of a property but wary of the process?
- Would you like to create supplemental retirement income?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, donating your property to UT Dallas may be right for you. We can help you avoid the hassle of selling property and the worry about getting a fair price. And, you can realize some valuable tax benefits — all while supporting the future of UT Dallas.
How it works:
- Donate the property outright. You eliminate the costs and responsibilities of ownership. If you have owned the property for more than a year, you will enjoy a charitable income tax deduction equal to the property’s full fair market value. You will eliminate any capital gains taxes, and your gift will also reduce your future taxable estate.
- Include UT Dallas in your will or trust. When you include a gift of real estate in your will or trust, your estate may be eligible for a charitable tax deduction upon your death and you may also be able to leave a larger gift than you could have during your lifetime.
- Receive income. You can use your gift of real estate to set up a charitable gift annuity or charitable remainder trust. You receive income for life, while you reduce capital gains and other taxes.
These are some of the most common ways to give real estate, but there are other creative options. Contact Kyle Edgington, vice president for development and alumni relations, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 972-883-6527.
You can use these easy-to-follow instructions for making a transfer.
Legacy Lane is a tree-lined path that winds alongside the creek behind the Eugene McDermott Library. This popular walkway is forged with personalized, engraved paver stones organized by class years. Legacy Lane was established to provide graduates an opportunity to be recognized as having played a part in the University’s long and distinguished history.
Questions about how specific gifts can meet your unique needs and goals? Contact Kyle Edgington, vice president for development and alumni relations, at email@example.com or 972-883-6527.